So phase 3 of our home renos included converting the old kitchen in half into a walk in wardrobe and now the laundry renovation is almost finished. After doing some research we found that laundry’s do not sell houses so we didn’t want to put too much spend into the reno. A couple of things we did to keep costs down included:
- We decided to keep the old kitchen cabinetry and paint them and add new hardware.
- We removed the old laminate bench-top and created our own bench-top using tas oak floorboards.
- Our tiler said we would be able to tile a backsplash, so we gave that a go with leftover tiles from the bathroom
- We were going to tile the floor but ended up having excess floorboards which Mike laid and looks much better as the hall and study on either side flow better
- We kept the plumbing in the same spot and just updated the taps and sink off eBay.
This is the old kitchen prior to beginning demo
We got some helpers into remove the island and pull up all the tiles and add some walls, but we asked them to leave the old kitchen against the wall
2 days later
Before the plasterer came in to add the walls, I used a paint spray gun to paint the cupboards white
Mike continued the wooden floor boards from the hallway through the laundry and into the study and created a new benchtop using tas oak floorboards.
We then tiled the splashback ourselves using leftover tiles from the bathroom reno
Almost finished, just need to grout and add a few trims to tidy it up